Yes, you can, under certain circumstances. A criminal conviction in New Jersey can be a serious stain on your life and prevent you from getting a job or other pursuits in life. That is why there is a provision to expunge (wipe out) the conviction if you meet the criteria. There are some exceptions, convictions you can't wipe out, but it is worth looking into.

What Are the Requirements?

As I said, there are crimes that can be wiped out under certain circumstances. This is done through a "petition for expungement" if you meet the following requirements:

  • It has been at least ten years from the date of your conviction, or the date on which the sentence was completed, whichever is later;
  • An accelerated expungement may be available if at least 5 years have passed, you have not been convicted of any subsequent offense, and the court finds that an expungement is in the public interest given your character and conduct;
  • You do not have more than one criminal conviction;
  • You  have not had more than two disorderly or petty disorderly persons offense convictions.
  • You have not had a previous criminal or disorderly persons expungement
  • There are no pending criminal, disorderly persons, or petty disorderly persons prosecutions
  • There are no pending lawsuits involving the crime where NJ is a party

Also, if you have a criminal and disorderly persons conviction, only the criminal conviction can be expunged.

Expungements are great, but there are limits. You can have one of these wiped out.

So What Do I Do?

If you are looking to expunge some arrests and/or convictions in your past that occurred in the Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Salem or Cumberland County, area, have decided that you need an expungement and are ready to take action, then click on this link to schedule a call with me. Don’t let your past hold you back from a better future!

If you are not sure you are ready to hire a lawyer, but want more information, then download my free book, What Everyone Should Know About Getting a NJ Expungement to get the answers you're looking for!

Want to see if you are even eligible for an expungement? Take the quiz to the right and see!

Related Topics

If you liked this information and found it useful, then you might like or need these others:

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.