Are you looking to go to graduate school after college? How about medical or law school? If so, and you are looking for ways to pay for it, you should consider a Graduate PLUS loan from the U.S. Department of Education.

All you need to get one is be a graduate or professional degree student enrolled at least half time and meet the general eligibility requirements for federal student aid.

These loans are credit based, but even if you have an adverse credit history, you can still get a loan. This can be done by either getting a cosigner with a good credit history or providing proof of extenuating circumstances relating to the adverse credit history.

If you still cannot get a loan, you may be eligible for additional unsubsidized loans if you have not reached the total lending limit.

Although the loan falls due once the funds are disbursed, the loan is placed into deferment while you are enrolled at least half time and for an additional 6 months after you graduate or drop below half time.

More Information

If you are looking for more information about federal financial aid for college, then download my free book, Applying for Federal Financial Aid: The Definitive Guide for Students and Parents.

For more information about what happens after you graduate,get my free book, I Graduated; Now What? A Guide to Dealing with Your Student Loans.

You can also access the latest news on student loans, get answers to Frequently Asked Questions, and read articles in my Library. Continue to educate yourself as you go through the process of making smart decisions about college financing!

Related Topics

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.