Do you still need more money for school after maxing out your grants, scholarships, and federal direct loans? Then you should consider getting a job through the federal work-study program!

This program provides part time jobs for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with financial need, whether they are attending school full- or part-time. Not all schools participate in the program, so you should check with their financial aid office.

How much you make at these jobs is based on, at least, the current federal minimum wage, but also depends on

  • When you apply;
  • Your level of financial need; and
  • How much money the school was awarded for the program by the Department of Education

Your wages will be paid directly to you (unless you instruct them otherwise), at least once a month, and by the hour (undergraduate) or either by the hour or salaried, depending on the work you do (graduate or professional school).

Bear in mind that the job is part-time, so the hours are limited. In this case it is limited by your Federal Work-Study award, while work hours are assigned in light of your class schedule and academic progress. Get more information on the program here.

More Information

If you are looking for more information about federal financial aid for college, then download my free book, Applying for Federal Financial Aid: The Definitive Guide for Students and Parents.

For more information about what happens after you graduate, get my free book, I Graduated; Now What? A Guide to Dealing with Your Student Loans.

You can also access the latest news on student loans, get answers to Frequently Asked Questions, and read articles in my Library. Continue to educate yourself as you go through the process of making smart decisions about college financing!

Related Topics

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.