Many people have done things in their past that they regret (and I'm not talking about that tattoo you got of an ex-boy/girlfriend's name next to the word "forever.")  Politicians call them "youthful indiscretions."  With them, it might mean they don't get elected; with you, it could mean that you get turned down for a job or do not get a security clearance.

Bottom line: what happened fifteen years ago can still hurt you now.  If this sounds like you, and the infraction was minor, there is still something you can do about it.  It is called an "expungement," and it can be a lifesaver!

What is Involved in an Expungement?

This process involves a sworn petition, signed by you, being filed by the New Jersey Superior Court, to remove from your record a conviction for a disorderly or petty disorderly person's offense (what other states call a misdemeanor), a violation of a municipal ordinance, or record of an arrest for which there was no conviction. Notice must be given to:

  • Superintendent of the State Police
  • The Attorney General
  • The County Prosecutor
  • The Chief of Police of the Town Where the Offense Occurred
  • The Chief Law Enforcement Officer of Any Other Entity that Participated in Your Arrest
  • The Jail Superintendent, If You Were Incarcerated
  • The Magistrate of the Municipal Court, If You Were Sentenced There

A date for a hearing is set, but if none of those parties served objects, the hearing is not held, and the expungement is granted (unless one of the exceptions to expungement exist).  If there is an objection, it could be denied for any number of reasons.

What is the Benefit of an Expungement?

Once granted, though, the arrest, conviction, and any proceedings related to the offense are deemed never to have taken place.  If you are asked by a future potential employer if you have ever been convicted of a crime, you can honestly say "no."

If you are looking to expunge some arrests and/or convictions in your past that occurred in the Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Salem or Cumberland County, area, have decided that you need an expungement and are ready to take action, then click on this link to schedule a call with me. Don’t let your past hold you back from a better future!

If you are not sure you are ready to hire a lawyer, but want more information, then download my free book, What Everyone Should Know About Getting a NJ Expungement to get the answers you're looking for!

Want to see if you are even eligible for an expungement? Take the quiz to the right and see!

Related Topics

If you liked this information and found it useful, then you might like or need these others:

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.