To some extent, it depends upon the state. There are two different interstate agreements that have them talking to each other and sharing information. What happens with your out of state ticket depends on the agreement.

The Driver License Compact

All states (and the District of Columbia) share violation information with New Jersey through something called the Driver License Compact, except Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

If you get a ticket for a moving violation (like speeding) in one of the Compact states, you will get two points against your license in addition to the fines and penalties assessed by that state's traffic court.

Then Nonresident Violator Compact

There is also the Nonresident Violator Compact, which New Jersey belongs to with 43 other states (and the District of Columbia), the exceptions being Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin.

If you get a ticket in one of these Compact states you cannot be detained out of state for the violation, but your license will be suspended in New Jersey if you do not comply with the terms of the citation.

So What Will Happen With My License?

The long and the short of it is that if you as a New Jerseyan get a ticket for a moving violation in any of the adjoining or nearby states (except Massachusetts), you will get a maximum of two (2) points, along with the fines and penalties of that state.

You can also get your license suspended if you do not comply with the sentencing terms. Detailed information is available on the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission web site.

If you are looking for more information on New Jersey's traffic laws, then download my free book, A Guide to Driving Legally in NJ, and Surviving Traffic Court If You Don't.

Related Topics

If you liked this information and found it useful, then you might like or need these others:

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.