You may be able to fight a lawsuit brought by a creditor after judgment has been entered, but only under certain circumstances. Collection suits in New Jersey are frequently served by certified and regular mail. They can often get lost in the shuffle after arrival, especially when someone is so harried by creditors that they stop opening their mail.

The creditor can enter judgment by default once the time has passed to file an answer (35 days). However, it is possible to reopen the case, and it is much easier to do so if you take action within one year of the judgment being entered. After a year, it becomes more difficult based on your situation. 

To reopen a judgment entered in the last 12 months, you must make a motion with the court. In that motion, you must establish two things. 

Excusable Neglect for Failing to Answer Timely

First, you must prove "excusable neglect." In other words, you need to prove that you had a good reason for not filing an answer within the original 35 days. The courts are serious about deadlines and will want to know why you did not meet one.

However, those same courts seek justice and are willing to give you your day in court, but you must be able to put down some reasonable reason for being late. Of the two requirements, though, this is easier to meet.

A Meritorious Defense

This is the more challenging part. You have to show that there is a natural defense to the collection suit, and "I can't afford to pay it" does not count. The defense must be along the lines of:

  • I paid the money
  • I paid some of it, but they are not reflecting the proper balance after crediting those payments.
  • I never entered into a contract with that company for the goods or services they claim

There may be other fact-specific, but you get the idea. Sometimes, the defense is a little more complicated. For example, in this economy, many creditors sell their receivables to debt buyers, which is called "factors." This often happens when the debt is old, even past the statute of limitations. If the creditor is one of these debt buyers, you might also raise defenses like:

  • I have never dealt with this creditor; who are they?
  • I deny they own the debt now and are entitled to the money.

In addition, since the debt buyer is not the creditor, they often do not have the evidence necessary to prove their case if you challenge them in court. These are valid defenses to old or factored debt that you should consider.

What You Can Do

A motion to "vacate" a judgment and file an answer disputing the debt is not something you should handle yourself. If a creditor has recently entered judgment against you for more than $15,000, and you believe you can meet the burden of reopening the case, you should have an attorney to assist you.

If you live in Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Salem, or Cumberland County, are looking to hire a New Jersey debt relief attorney to fight for you, and are ready to take action, just click this link to schedule a call with me to discuss your case. You deserve your day in court.

Want more information on how to fight back with your creditors? Then download my free book, The Biggest Secrets Your Creditors Don't Want You to Know. Become empowered and protect your rights. Are you a visual learner rather than a reader? Do you enjoy watching YouTube to learn new things? Then check out my 3-part video series on how creditors use lawsuits in New Jersey to collect debts. Just click here for more information on how to get the links!

But if this debt is not the only one, and you are wondering whether you need a solution to a bigger problem, then download my free book, Am I In Too Deep? A Guide to Knowing When You Need to File Bankruptcy in New Jersey to determine if bankruptcy might be the right solution. You could also just give me a call and come in to discuss it further.

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.