Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.

With New Jersey being such a densely populated state, with so many roadways, and being part of the DC to NY corridor, many of the clients I represent in traffic court are not New Jersey residents. This can add an additional layer of complication to the case, as it is not so much what happens to you in New Jersey when you get the ticket; it is what happens when you get back home.

Being located in South Jersey, most of my out-of-state clients are from either PA or Delaware. For that reason, I have become acutely aware of how these states' laws differ in key areas, such as speeding and DUI. Sometimes they fare better than New Jersey residents, and in others, they do not.

What About NY, PA & Delaware?

One example is speeding. New York, PA, and Delaware each have a different sliding scale on points depending on how fast you were going. PA residents can often plead to a speeding ticket with the stipulation that the were going no more than 5 mph over the limit.

In this way, they avoid points altogether. This is helpful, since they cannot use New Jersey's "no point" ticket, Unsafe Operation. Unfortunately, neither can Delaware residents, and they do not have a "no point" speeding ticket like PA.

Best to Check with a Local Lawyer

I do not practice in these other states, so I always advise seeking an opinion from an attorney in your own home state before pleading to anything in a New Jersey traffic court. I can then work with the local prosecutor to come up with plea deal that will minimize the consequences once you get home.

If you are looking for more information on New Jersey's traffic laws, then download my free book, A Guide to Driving Legally in NJ, and Surviving Traffic Court If You Don't.

If you have received a ticket in southern New Jersey, you should also feel free to call me at 856-432-4113 or contact me through this site to schedule an appointment for a free consultation in my Woodbury office. If you are out of state or out of the area, this can be done by phone.


Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment


Richardson Law Offices