No, you cannot. This is because fines are not considered debts owed to the state; they are considered punishment for an offense.  If you do not pay the fines, a judge can decide to convert the fines into jail time!

For this reason, I do not recommend either trying to wipe them out in a chapter 7 or proposing a payout in a chapter 13.  If you are in this situation, you should work out a payment plan with the court and disclose that monthly payment in your list of expenses for the bankruptcy.

If you live in South Jersey and are considering filing bankruptcy, call my office at 856-432-4113 or contact me through this site for a free consultation to discuss your case. If you are looking for more information about bankruptcy, then download my free book,Top Questions People Ask About Filing Bankruptcy in New Jersey.

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.