Our New Jersey Traffic Court Lawyer Explains Your Options If You are Unable to Pay Traffic Fines

People make plans for payment of fines and penalties in New Jersey traffic court all the time, but then circumstances change. Maybe you are experiencing a job loss or have other pressing expenses that make the payment plan no longer possible. If you are unable to pay the fines, you could be held in default by the courts and summoned to appear. Not paying fines or appearing in court can have serious consequences. As an experienced New Jersey traffic court lawyer, I can advise you on your options if you cannot pay the fines.

Options if You are Unable to Pay Traffic Court Fines in New Jersey

In New Jersey, if you appear in court due to inability to pay fines, you may be given options to help. The court may be able to do the following:

  1. Reduce the penalty, suspend the penalty, or modify the installment plan
  2. Revoke any unpaid portion of the penalty if the court finds that the circumstances that warranted the imposition have changed or that it would be unjust to require payment.
  3. Order you to perform community service instead of paying the penalty
  4. Impose any other alternative permitted by law instead of payment of the penalty

Unfortunately, when faced with this situation, many people end up hiding from it and don't work to resolve the problem. This can result in either a summons to come to court to explain yourself to an angry judge or, worse, a bench warrant for your arrest. You do not want to face these consequences. Don't wait until they come for you. Contact the court and try to work something out. Chances are they will work with you to resolve the problem without a hassle.

Do You Need More Information?

If you want more information on New Jersey's traffic laws, download my free book, A Guide to Driving Legally in NJ and Surviving Traffic Court If You Don't.

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.