Yes, you can, but not in all circumstances. When they become due after graduation (or after you leave school) student loans backed by the federal government are put into a ten year, fixed payment plan.

However, young people starting out in the world do not make much initially, and that fixed payment can seem insurmountable. This is especially true if the total debt is high.

Owe More Than $30,000? Extend the Term!

That is why in instances where the loan balances, if consolidated, would total more than $30,000, the Department of Education can extend the term of the loan past 10 years and out to 25. If the loans originated prior to July 1, 2006, however, it can be extended to 30 years.

This can make a big difference! It might be much longer before it is paid off, but if the monthly payment is affordable, then that can give you the financial relief you need now.

How Can This Help?

For example, a loan of $50,000 at 6.8% interest would have a fixed payment of $575.40 over 10 years. However, extended to 25 years, it becomes $347.04, a difference of $228.36 per month. If your circumstances change later in life, you can afford to pay more per month, you can change your plan to pay it off sooner.

There is one catch, though, but not a big one. The monthly payment must be in an amount that covers all accrued interest on the loan for that month, or $50, whichever is higher.

So What Do I Do?

If you are looking for a solution to your student loan problem and wondering if there is one, then there is a great way to find out for free! Just click here to provide me with all the details on your loans. I will then, for free and with no obligation on your part, look at your situation to see if I can provide you with a way to deal with them. If there isn't one, it didn't cost you anything. If there is, then I will contact you to schedule an analysis session with my office to lay out a plan of action.

If you would like more information about student loans, you can dowload my free book, I Graduated; Now What? A Guide to Dealing with Your Student Loans.

Related Topics

If you liked this information and found it useful, then you might like or need these others:

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.