A DUI Defense Attorney Explains When to Remove an Ignition Interlock Device

If you are convicted of drunk driving in New Jersey for a charge that was brought against you after December 1, 2019, you will have to have an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) installed on your car at some point. As an experienced DUI defense attorney, I explain when you can remove it once your sentence has been completed so you are not violating any laws.

What You Need to Do to Remove the IID

To remove the IID, you must obtain certification from the IID vendor. The certification will state that:

  • During the final 30 days of the installation period, there was no more than one incidence where the device showed a BAC of 0.08% or higher (unless a re-test was conducted within 5 minutes of the initial test showing a BAC below 0.08%)
  • During the final 30 days of the installation period, there was no more than one incident where you failed to take the test
  • That you complied with all of the required maintenance, repair, calibration, monitoring, and inspection for the device

What Happens if You Are Not Issued an IID Vendor Certification

If the vendor does not issue such certification because there were two or more test results of 0.08% or higher during those 30 days, it must forward that reason and the test results to the Motor Vehicles Commission and the court. The judge must then decide whether to extend the usage period for the IID for up to 90 days or order the vendor to issue the certification.

You do not want to fail in the last month and have another one to three months using the IID and another $100 to $300 in costs out of your pocket.

Looking for More Information?

Want to know more about the Ignition Interlock Device or your DUI charge? Then check out the links below or download my free book, How Much Trouble Am I In? A Guide to New Jersey Drunk Driving Law.

If your case hasn't gone to court yet, you think that you should have an attorney represent you, your charge is in Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Sale, or Cumberland Counties, and you are ready to take action, then call my office at 856-432-4113 to schedule an appointment.

Steven J. Richardson
Connect with me
Bankruptcy, Collections, Student Loan, DUI and Traffic Court attorney in Woodbury, NJ.